“Once you get the dust of Horseshoe in your moccasins, you can never get it out.”

HSRAA
A Proud Benefactor to HSR Since 2000.


Submit Artifact

“I’ve heard that the walls of old houses sometimes hold onto voices – and play them back at odd times.”
Anya Allyn

Link to stand-alone gallery

Link to stand-alone gallery

Contributed by Andrew Coe

In 1826, the Horseshoe Property passed into the Reynolds’ Family, a local family who ran a pottery below Rock Springs. Then known as Horseshoe Farm, the property was conveyed by Samuel Reynolds to his son Ira. Much of the farm was still covered with a fine stand of timber. Ira Reynolds commenced his task by cutting cord wood and hauling it to the Reynolds’ Pottery, the old Reynolds’ homestead. When the ground was cleared, rye was the principle crop planted. Field irrigation was achieved by interrupting the flow of the river and diverting it through a trench that surrounded the Athletic Field. Ira continued clearing, meanwhile building a large double-deck barn, a wagon shed and a smoke house. Little by little the beautiful and fertile Horseshoe Farm took shape.

“The old flint dwelling had long since become inadequate for the Reynolds family, and a larger home was constructed out of local field stone just up the hill from and to the south of the original flint home. The exact date of the building of this new farmhouse is not definitely known. Upon the opening of the Camp, this building became the headquarters and was used as such for a number of years. The first floor of this building originally contained three rooms, each with its own fireplace. The second floor contained floor contained four rooms with no hallway to connect them. The attic contained one large room. In order to make the house more usable as a headquarters building, the smaller rooms on the first floor were made into one room and one of the fireplaces was closed up. The second floor was provided with a wash room, and hall was added. The third floor was divided into two storage rooms. For 18 years, the first floor was used as the Camp office and First Aid Station, the second floor containing the Director’s Office, Staff Quarters and the Infirmary.”¹

In 1929 an official name became associated with the Reynold’s home that was used as camp headquarters. From this year forward it would be known as “The White House.”²

¹Casey Jones’ “Brief History of Horseshoe”

²J.B. Rettew, “The Spirit of the Horseshoe”, 1994.

White House in 1943
An exterior look at the White House in 1943.
1943 – Contributed by Tom McCabe
Moving Mattresses
Ordeal Candidates and OA members move mattresses out of the White House into a truck for their final destinations: the various campsites throughout Camp Horseshoe.
2017 – Contributed by Andrew Coe
Roof Work
The Octoraro 22 roofing crew works on the Bug House down by the Camp Horseshoe White House.
2018 – Contributed by Andrew Coe

Link to stand-alone gallery

2018 – Contributed by Andrew Coe

Octoraro Loop Tour

Follow us on social media

Last updated December 12, 2025

© Horseshoe Scout Reservation Alumni Association 2025