“Once you get the dust of Horseshoe in your moccasins, you can never get it out.”

HSRAA
A Proud Benefactor to HSR Since 2000.



Horseshoe Buildings

“In a well-ordered universe… camping would take place indoors.”
Morgan Matson

Food is always on the mind of young Scouts.  One of the first buildings erected at Camp Horseshoe was the Allen Memorial Dining Hall.  Funding for the construction came in large part from the Manufacturer’s Casualty Insurance Company of Philadelphia and the building was named for the company’s president, James K. Allen.

The Allen Memorial Dining Hall is a focal point of program at summer camp.

Browning Lodge, originally called  Scoutmaster’s Lodge, was built on the foundation of the Reynolds farm wagon shed.  The construction of camp’s first winter lodge was funded by contributions in memory of Edward Browning, the first Scoutmaster of Devon Troop 50.

Browning Lodge is a favorite winter cabin location at Camp Horseshoe.

The Camp Headquarters was moved from the White House when the current Headquarters building was built in the late 1940’s.  In the early 1980’s, Headquarters was expanded when the Rossiter Visitor Center was added.  In 2006, the trading post was moved out of the HQ building to what is now called Trader Bill’s.

The Headquarters building has been open at Camp Horseshoe since 1947.

Kindness Center was constructed during the inaugural year of Camp from funds donated by the S.P.C.A.  The upstairs has served as a forum for rained out campfires and camp-wide games.  The lower level has housed the Handicraft Department and the original Trading Post.

The Kindness Center is used for many things, including the Handicraft program area.

The Lane House had been used as the residence of the Cole family since 1999 and then later by other ranger staff. It is situated at the entrance to Camp Horseshoe on the New Camp Road.

The Lane House is used as a HSR Ranger residence.

Ongoing maintenance has always been a big part of keeping Camp Horseshoe running smoothly. 

The Old Quonset, a Camp Horseshoe fixture since 1947.

McIlvaine Lodge was built in the mid 1930’s by C. C. Cole and the Camp Staff from lumber acquired by dismantling the Cecil Paper Company Superintendent’s house.  The building was dedicated to Gilbert McIlvaine, a Horseshoe founder and chief architect, in 1940.

McIlvaine Lodge is named after <strong>Gilbert McIlvaine</strong> and is used as a winter cabin.

The Morrison Health Lodge, named after Reverend Bentley Morrison, replaced the White House as the Camp Hospital in 1944.

The Camp Horseshoe health lodge has been used as both program area and medical services area since 1944.

Octoraro Lodge 22 has always been a big part of Camp Horseshoe.  In the 1950’s the OA Lodge Building was built near the Dining Hall and was completed in 1959.  Since then it has been used for special events such as Conclaves, for OA Snacks during summer camp as well as staff housing, and also as housing for OA Winter Camp Staffing.  

The Octoraro 22 Lodge Building, as seen in the mid 2000s.

These twin buildings were built in 1959 to be used primarily as Winter Lodges.  Roberts Lodge is also used during Summer Camp as the Nature Lodge.

Roberts Lodge, which is used a winter cabin and as the Nature Lodge during summer camp.

Campmaster’s Lodge was converted into a winter lodge in 1982 with the addition of sleeping quarters.  At that time the building was renamed Schramm Lodge and dedicated to Harold Schramm, a long-time Scouter from West Chester.

Schramm Lodge, winter cabin and used as the S.T.E.M. program area.

A Scout is Clean!  The Camp Shower Houses have gone through some changes down through the years.

Camper shower house located near the Dining Hall.

The much expanded Trading Post, Trader Bill’s, was opened in 2005, and is named so in honor of the William R. Hess, who served as HSR Reservation Manager for more than a decade.

Trader Bill's Trading Post at Camp Horseshoe.

The White House is the original farmhouse used by the Reynolds’ family who owned the Horseshoe property through most of the 19th century.

Since Chester County Council acquired Horseshoe, the building has been used as a headquarters, a health lodge, a senior camp staff dormitory, winter camping, special events, and unit leader office center.

The White House, original Reynolds family farmhouse, original Camp Horseshoe HQ, and multi-purpose building today.

Follow us on social media

Last updated November 4, 2025

© Horseshoe Scout Reservation Alumni Association 2025

Horseshoe Buildings

“In a well-ordered universe… camping would take place indoors.”
Morgan Matson

Food is always on the mind of young Scouts.  One of the first buildings erected at Camp Horseshoe was the Allen Memorial Dining Hall.  Funding for the construction came in large part from the Manufacturer’s Casualty Insurance Company of Philadelphia and the building was named for the company’s president, James K. Allen.

The Allen Memorial Dining Hall is a focal point of program at summer camp.

Browning Lodge, originally called  Scoutmaster’s Lodge, was built on the foundation of the Reynolds farm wagon shed.  The construction of camp’s first winter lodge was funded by contributions in memory of Edward Browning, the first Scoutmaster of Devon Troop 50.

Browning Lodge is a favorite winter cabin location at Camp Horseshoe.

The Camp Headquarters was moved from the White House when the current Headquarters building was built in the late 1940’s.  In the early 1980’s, Headquarters was expanded when the Rossiter Visitor Center was added.  In 2006, the trading post was moved out of the HQ building to what is now called Trader Bill’s.

The Headquarters building has been open at Camp Horseshoe since 1947.

Kindness Center was constructed during the inaugural year of Camp from funds donated by the S.P.C.A.  The upstairs has served as a forum for rained out campfires and camp-wide games.  The lower level has housed the Handicraft Department and the original Trading Post.

The Kindness Center is used for many things, including the Handicraft program area.

The Lane House had been used as the residence of the Cole family since 1999 and then later by other ranger staff. It is situated at the entrance to Camp Horseshoe on the New Camp Road.

The Lane House is used as a HSR Ranger residence.

Ongoing maintenance has always been a big part of keeping Camp Horseshoe running smoothly. 

The Old Quonset, a Camp Horseshoe fixture since 1947.

McIlvaine Lodge was built in the mid 1930’s by C. C. Cole and the Camp Staff from lumber acquired by dismantling the Cecil Paper Company Superintendent’s house.  The building was dedicated to Gilbert McIlvaine, a Horseshoe founder and chief architect, in 1940.

McIlvaine Lodge is named after <strong>Gilbert McIlvaine</strong> and is used as a winter cabin.

The Morrison Health Lodge, named after Reverend Bentley Morrison, replaced the White House as the Camp Hospital in 1944.

The Camp Horseshoe health lodge has been used as both program area and medical services area since 1944.

Octoraro Lodge 22 has always been a big part of Camp Horseshoe.  In the 1950’s the OA Lodge Building was built near the Dining Hall and was completed in 1959.  Since then it has been used for special events such as Conclaves, for OA Snacks during summer camp as well as staff housing, and also as housing for OA Winter Camp Staffing.  

The Octoraro 22 Lodge Building, as seen in the mid 2000s.

These twin buildings were built in 1959 to be used primarily as Winter Lodges.  Roberts Lodge is also used during Summer Camp as the Nature Lodge.

Roberts Lodge, which is used a winter cabin and as the Nature Lodge during summer camp.

Campmaster’s Lodge was converted into a winter lodge in 1982 with the addition of sleeping quarters.  At that time the building was renamed Schramm Lodge and dedicated to Harold Schramm, a long-time Scouter from West Chester.

Schramm Lodge, winter cabin and used as the S.T.E.M. program area.

A Scout is Clean!  The Camp Shower Houses have gone through some changes down through the years.

Camper shower house located near the Dining Hall.

The much expanded Trading Post, Trader Bill’s, was opened in 2005, and is named so in honor of the William R. Hess, who served as HSR Reservation Manager for more than a decade.

Trader Bill's Trading Post at Camp Horseshoe.

The White House is the original farmhouse used by the Reynolds’ family who owned the Horseshoe property through most of the 19th century.

Since Chester County Council acquired Horseshoe, the building has been used as a headquarters, a health lodge, a senior camp staff dormitory, winter camping, special events, and unit leader office center.

The White House, original Reynolds family farmhouse, original Camp Horseshoe HQ, and multi-purpose building today.

Follow us on social media

Last updated November 4, 2025

© Horseshoe Scout Reservation Alumni Association 2025